Quietest Portable Generator Reviews
Although the ideal survival situation wouldn’t involve any reliance on electric and electronic appliances and devices, things like cell phones, heaters, radios, lights, and hot plates would make things a lot more comforting in an emergency scenario. Ideally, a portable generator that can be easily moved and repostioned.
The downside is, generators are usually loud. If you’re trying to lay low, or avoid attention, you’d want the quietest portable generator available.
Here is a breakdown to help you find the quietest portable generator in your budget.
The Powerpro 56101 Generator is the least expensive generator on our quietest portable generator list. It’s equipped with carrying handle, and weighs 36 pounds. The engine is 2 stroke, which means the fuel is an oil and gas mix, which allows this generator to run for 5 hours at half load with its one gallon tank.
- 1000 Watts starting power; 900 Watts running power
- Weighs 36 pounds
- Quiet exhaust system with spark arrestor; Certified for use in any national park or forest
- 60db at 22 feet
- One gallon tank allows for 5 hours or operation at half load
- One 120V three-prong receptacle, a 12V DC receptacle, volt meter
The Earthquake IG800W generator is up next on our quietest portable generator list. It’s very lightweight and portable, weighing in at only 21 pounds.
It includes an industry-first, self circulating fuel pump which constantly moves the fuel through the system and back to the fuel tank. This keeps the fuel from bubbling and boiling, which keeps the unit running at its rated power even in extreme heat conditions.
The economy mode feature automatically adjusts the fuel consumption and sound level depending on the load, which allows this generator to run for hours without needing a refill.
- 800 Watts
- Lightweight, only 21 pounds
- Built with noise-cancelling features
- 14 Hours per gallon operation time in Economy mode
- Overload protection with instant reset circuit breaker
The WEN 56200i portable generator is the first 2000 watt unit on our quietest portable generator list. This enables it to power more devices while running.
The 79.7 cc 4-stroke OHV engine runs at a very quiet 51 decibels, the quietest portable generator on our list so far. That is quieter than an average window air conditioner or an average conversation between two people.
Although it is heavier than our previous entries, weighing at 48 pounds, it provides 2000 surge watts and 1600 constant rated watts of power. Also, with the generator’s electronic speed control throttle, the motor automatically adjusts the fuel consumption as items are plugged in and out of the panel.
The one gallon tank provides over 4 hours of run time at half-load.
- 2000 Watts
- 51 db
- 48 pounds
- Electronic Speed Control throttle to maximize fuel
- Low oil and low fuel automatic shutdown with indication lights
- Overload protection
- 2 three-pronged receptacles, one 12v DC receptacle, and one 5v USB port
- Over 4 hours of operation at half-load
The Yamaha EF1000iS 1000 Watt generator is next on our quietest portable generator list. Weighing just 28 pounds, it’s one of the lighter generators at this wattage level.
It delivers clean, high quality energy in the form of pure sine waves, which are cleaner and more reliable than most commercial power generators. This makes it safe for delicate machinery and electronics, like laptops and cell phones
Yamaha’s Smart Throttle Load feature dynamically adjusts the engine speed depending on output load, to reduce fuel consumption. We’ve seen this feature on several of the generators on our list. It can run up to 12 hours without refueling.
Built with noise-absorbing glass wool construction, and a super-quiet muffler, noise is kept to a minimum, even while under heavy loads. Between 48db-60db depending on load.
With its 12 volt DC output, the EF1000iS is capable of recharging 12 volt batteries from your RV, auto, or boat.
- 1000 Watts
- 28 pounds
- Yamaha’s Smart Throttle Load technology
- Ability to recharge 12 volt batteries
- Clean, quality power, safe for sensitive equipment
- Runs continuously for up to 12 hours without refueling
- Easy-to-carry design