Entrenching Tool (E Tool)
The Entrenching tool (also referred to as E Tool) is basically a shovel. As simple as that sounds, entrenching tools are far more useful than being used just as a shovel. They have been used by militaries around the world for hundreds of years and have multiple usages.
Modern entrenching tools are collapsable and are made of materials like aluminum, steel, or other light metals for strength and portability.
Some uses for an E Tool:
- As a shovel (obviously)
- As a blade for chopping wood
- As a blade for clearing brush
- The tip or sharp edge may be used as a thrusting or slashing weapon
- Some may incorporate or be used as a pick axe
- In a pinch can be used as an oar, or even an anchor
- Clearing the ground for a fire or to build a shelter
- Sawing through rope or tree branches
As you can probably tell by now, having an entrenching tool in your gear is a very wise move. They are relatively inexpensive and can change a survival situation from one of dire circumstances to one of productivity.
We decided to do a little Entrenching Tool mini-review of three popular E Tools found on Amazon. I’d advise picking one up ASAP.
1. Genuine Military Issue Tri-Fold Entrenching Tool (E-Tool) with Shovel Cover
The Basic Military issue E Tool. Reliable and proven.
- Genuine US Military Issue
- Steel Blade
- Aluminum Handle
- Black Powder Coat Finish
- Serrated Saw Edge
- Sharpened Axe Edge
- Includes Vinyl Cover/Case
- Aluminum Handle With Comfortable Grip
- Includes Magnesium Fire Starter Inside Shaft
- Waterproof Hollow Shaft To Hold Survival Items/Tools
- Blade Folds And Locks In Three Positions, 30, 60, and 90 Degrees
- Includes Black Nylon Sheath For Protection
Not Military Issue, but seems to be built well and very affordable.
- Compact Folding Shovel And Pick
- 18 1/4 Folding Shovel
- Folding Steel Handle
- Nylon Carry Sheath